Monday, November 28, 2005

Basketball Season is upon us....

I am happy...especially as an Illinois fan...that football season is fading into memory and basketball season is picking up.

People who have known me for a while know that I've not been a sports fan for much of my life. However, attending the U of I made up for that quite a bit. I have 4 years in the Basketball Band and my friend Melissa to thank for my basketball education. (A real friend never tells you how stupid you are - but simply answers your questions!) I'm still learning, but I know MUCH more than I used to.

I have SO many good memories in the Basketball Band and at Illinois games in general:
  • Getting to sit on the floor for all those games
  • Chanting to the refs: "Go back! Go back to Foot Locker! Go back! Go back to Foot Locker! Sell shoes! (sell shoes!)"
  • Holly feeling guilty about "heckling"
  • The Mizzou games at the Saavis Center in St. Louis - all of them.
  • The Indiana game when Bobby Knight was still the coach - the Orange Krush was BRUTAL.
  • The free soda (hey, I'm easy to please)
  • Going to games with my fellow UIUC alumni - and sitting back up in the nosebleeds
  • Getting to see a game with the whole fam one Christmas break
  • Watching the Illinois/Arizona Elite 8 game from last year's tournament after it had happened - but getting to be there with Chris, Melissa, and Josh when we made the Final Four (unbeLIEVEable!)

As for this season.I don't know that I'll make it over to Assembly Hall this year, which would be a first for about 7 seasons. As a fan, I try to never get too high expectations, but to just enjoy every game. I'd like to see nice leadership from the seniors - and growth from the younger ones.

Because I'm a visual/auditory person - this post MUST have pictures and music.

I stumbled upon this page today: http://umgawa.bands.uiuc.edu/BBB/media.html - it has songs from a recording session back when I was in the band. Personal favorites are: "Carry On My Wayward Son," (HUH!) "Everybody's Everything," and "Jungle Boogie."

My all-time favorite Illini:












And one from last season (during the Wake Forest game):










Go Illini!

No comments: